Caneadea used to be home to the most powerful tribe among the Iroquois – the Senecas – who were keepers of the Western Door. Right across the Genesee River from the hamlet of Houghton sat the Council House where the five tribe leaders met to sign peace treaties and negotiate many important decisions. The last of the Seneca to stay in his beloved homeland, was a Native American named Copperhead. He lived on the bank near the present intersection of Centerville and old River Road. He often shared lunch and stories with children who visited him. He died March 23, 1864. A friend and member of the Seneca tribe who had come to care for him, buried him facing the east as he desired so he could see the sunrise and the corn growing in the valley below. According to Seneca custom, he was buried with his rifle and kettle. As the years went by, the stream running down the hill threatened to sweep away Copperhead’s remains. Responding to concerned people, John Minard, the local Historian, wrote to the editor of The Houghton Star. Offers of financial help came from students and friends, and Copperhead’s remains were removed to a corner of the now Houghton College campus on June 10, 1914. The monument, a large boulder, marks his grave. The Boulder later became the name of the Houghton College yearbook in tribute to Copperhead. Our robust dark roast is named in his memory.